Cart Is Empty

parrot-social

Dear Parrots magazine,

The Marmite parrots

I read with much interest in last month’s issue (April 23) about the Marmite Parakeets that are colonising in a number of countries. I assume by using the term ‘Marmite’ the insinuation is that you either love them or hate them, hence the Marmite product of the same persuasion. However, I love Marmite!

These parakeets do seem to create a wave of comments from both sides of the argument. I was at an ash scattering ceremony in a churchyard in south London a couple of years ago when, apart from a fox nonchalantly wondering through, there was that unmistakable squawking of the Ringnecks. I saw three of them high up in the trees as they alternated from one to another.

I just adore them, but as a parrot enthusiast with a blue Ringneck, that is to be expected. During the time I was there, another couple passed close by and also commented on the antics of these parakeets expressing their joy at seeing them flying free. But I can understand there are concerns that our native birds may well have some competition although I am not aware of any major issues. Let them be free.

Angela Thurston, by email

BACK TO LETTERS PAGE

Newsletter

Our Address

Parrots magazine is published by
Imax Visual Ltd, West Building,
Elm Grove Lane, Steyning BN44 3SA

Telephone +44 (0)1273 464777
© Parrots magazine 2023