Cart Is Empty

parrot-social

Dear Parrots magazine,

Cage sizes

There has been much publicity over the years with regard to the size of cages that parrots should be kept in providing them with adequate space to exercise and to keep them healthy. However, there are possibly two sides of the story, as I know of a number of pet owners whose parrots are kept in cages that would probably not comply with the law.

My own experience goes along the line that the important factor is that your parrots are happy and cared for properly in whatever environment they are in. For example, I have an African Grey that is kept in a cage measuring around 36 inches wide by 18 inches deep and 20 inches high containing various natural branches and other items of interest. Each day I put in new empty cardboard boxes that he just loves and spends many hours shredding to pieces. I am sure my situation would be condemned by government agencies and some charities, as being not large enough.

The front of the cage opens right up and he is free to come out every day and enjoys the large expanse of the room he is in, and although he does have a fly around and interacts with myself and my husband, he spends much of his time back in his cage playing with his toys, boxes, and other items. And he also spends most of the day chatting away and interacting with us with some of the most amusing mimics he has picked up. He is clearly very content and well looked after and does get lots of exercise when flying around.

What is important is that we need to ensure that our parrots have an enjoyable life, and I can say with confidence that my Grey is happy and content as he whistles, sings and talks most of the time. Being an animal lover, I care for all living creatures and I have spent many hours rescuing wildlife and helping people look after their sick dogs and cats, so I do consider I am able to judge if an animal is happy and content and well looked after.

I think we have to be very aware of how we care for our parrots and I do not think that the legislation intended to cover birds in cages always applies. I know of one other parrot owner who thought his bird should have the largest cage ever and actually bought a small flight that he had in his conservatory. But it was interesting to see that his parrot was not happy in this flight and by returning it to its original cage, which is a similar size to the one I have mentioned here, his parrot was clearly much happier. It also gets lots of exercise by flying.

What I am saying is that legislation in the UK regarding cage sizes should not be considered rigid, as in my case and the owner I have mentioned here. Stipulated cage sizes do not always turn out to be the best solution. An owner who fully understands a bird’s needs is probably the best judge, and not necessarily the legislators.

Sara Hardy, by email

BACK TO LETTERS PAGE

Newsletter

Our Address

Parrots magazine is published by
Imax Visual Ltd, West Building,
Elm Grove Lane, Steyning BN44 3SA

Telephone +44 (0)1273 464777
© Parrots magazine 2023