Cart Is Empty

parrot-social

Dear Parrots magazine,

No metal please

I bought a pair of African Greys just over a year ago and was told they were a male and female which I think was right as they appeared to want to nest. As a result, I bought a nest box from a chap that makes them not far away from me, but the box had protective metal trim around the nest hole. This did strike me as a bit odd when I first saw the box, as I think birds like to chew their way in. But to confirm my suspicions they seemed very agitated about this metal around the entrance hole, so much so that I removed it and replaced it with some odd softwood strips I had, which I fixed across the hole that left a bit of a gap. I was so pleased to see that they chewed away at this timber and finally entered the nest box, which is what I thought they would do in the wild. They do seem a lot happier now although haven’t produced any eggs yet, so I am waiting with great anticipation.

I would say to other breeders, please do not use metal trims around nest holes as it is just not natural for the birds.

John Dainty, Monmouthshire

BACK TO LETTERS PAGE

Newsletter

Our Address

Parrots magazine is published by
Imax Visual Ltd, West Building,
Elm Grove Lane, Steyning BN44 3SA

Telephone +44 (0)1273 464777
© Parrots magazine 2023